If a credit reporting agency unfairly refuses to correct a mistake, can you sue?

Yes, most courts have held that the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) enables individuals to sue. In the law, this is called a private right of action. In order to make a claim under the FCRA, a consumer must establish the following factors:

1. The inclusion of inaccurate information in the credit report;
2. the inaccuracy caused by the consumer reporting agency’s failure to follow reasonable procedures to assure accuracy;
3. injury;
4. the injury caused by the inaccuracy of the credit report.