After a year of extensive treatment, my depression is still bad what next?

The importance of finding a doctor and therapist that possess a good education, good clinical training, and plenty of experience and success treating unipolar major depression cannot be stressed enough. Sometimes this is not good enough, and you need to get a second opinion. You should try to get a second opinion from a psychiatrist, especially if you have been seeing an internist, obstetrician/gynecologist, or family doctor for depression treatment. See Chapter 8, Finding a Doctor, for help in finding a consulting psychiatrist for a second opinion. You should be prepared to explain the details of your depression history as well as your medication and psychotherapy treatment, beginning from the first moment you realized that you might be depressed. Also, it is a good idea to bring test results and past medical records.

After your consultant tells you his opinion, ask plenty of questions until you understand everything he is saying. You may want to discuss your consultant’s opinion with your current doctor and therapist. Remember that you and your doctor are still a team as long as you remain their patient, and you are still entitled to their opinions and support.

If it seems that your current doctor and therapist are just not up to the job, it is time for new blood. Go back to the section on finding a doctor, and try again. If you liked the conclusions of the consulting doctor and felt comfortable in his presence, you can ask if he will take over your case or suggest another doctor who thinks the same way he does.