Producing a process model is like seeing the end result of the process, more likely a representation of how the process will look like with detailed descriptions on how things should or must be done. Thus, Business Process Modeling (or otherwise known as Business Process Discovery) is the activity of illustrating both current (‘as is’) and future (‘to be’) processes of a business enterprise for the purpose of evaluating and improving current business processes in terms of quality and efficiency.
In creating a process model, three things should be realized. First, the process model has to be ‘descriptive’. To be descriptive, there is a need to track everything that happened during a process. By doing so, analyzing and evaluating the current process and determining the areas of improvement will be easier to perform.
Second, the process model should be ‘prescriptive’, which means that it should act as a guide on how things should or could be completed. This can be attained by laying down the guidelines, rules and behavior patterns. Enforcing such will help employees comply with the process standards that will eventually lead to desired results.
Third, the process model must be ‘explanatory. This means that every single process detail will be explained, including the rationale on why to come up with such process. To get this done, a process model must also show the link that connects the processes and the requirements that have to be fulfilled. In addition, generating reports is something that is expected on any business process, therefore there is a need to include predefined points in the process model where reports can be extracted.
Indeed, coming up with a process model with these three characteristics will work wonders for the company, making more room for improvement in the future.
- Process Management: A Brief Definition
- Process Management Software
- The Principles behind Business Process Improvement
- Getting Things Done Through Business Process Automation
- What to Know About Open Source BPM
- Process Planning Made Accurate Through a BPM Calculator
- Where to Find Online BPM
- Lombardi BPM: A Success in Every Way
- Jboss BPM & How it Works
- Smart Solutions from Fuego Business Process Management
- Creating Successful Business Process with Free BPM
- Electronic Document Management and its Components
- 3 Key Questions a Business Process Workflow Should Address
- Going Through a Business Process Redesign
- How to Achieve Business Process Optimization
- 4 Key Steps to Business Process Mapping
- Different Kinds of BPM Applications
- What can Business Process Management do for You?
- The Two Aspects of Business Process Management Training
- What are Business Process Management Tools?