Insufficient exercise, insomnia, and poor nutrition all add to the fatigue caused by unipolar major depression. And in turn, unipolar major depression makes it more difficult to exercise, harder to sleep, and more difficult to eat appropriately. It’s a vicious cycle.
Avoid the impulse to rush out and buy the flashy energy supplements hawked on television, in magazines, and over the Internet. These often contain stimulants that are harmful to your heart, and in any case, are not natural additions to your body. Instead, work to maintain the exercise, sleep, and nutrition that contribute to your overall health and help you in your medication and psychotherapy treatment. Then you will gradually regain the natural energy that has been sapped by unipolar major depression.
It is not healthy to overdrive your natural energy level in an attempt to make yourself unnaturally energetic. Just live a healthy life, and let your body produce its own energy. Please try not to put stimulants of any kind into your body.
- Can vitamins help my depression?
- What are some good, basic dietary rules?
- How does my diet affect my depression?
- What medications can safely help me sleep?
- What do I do if it feels like my body simply doesn’t want to sleep?
- What is sleep hygiene?
- Are my repetitive thoughts keeping me awake?
- Is depression affecting my sleep?
- Can exercise help my depression?
- Is it better to suffer a little to keep the dosage as low as possible?
- What can I do if I’m not sure how I feel?
- My life seems to be drifting away from me what can I do on my own to hold on?
- Won’t I just depress my friends if I hang around with them?
- How do I know if PEP is working for my depression?
- What is the best thing I can do on my own to get my depression under control?
- What can I do at home to help stop my depression?
- What should I do if my grief and depression are making me think of suicide?
- Will grief go away on its own?
- With whom can I talk about my grief after losing a loved one?
- Can a person practice psychotherapy without any training?