The best kind of help you can provide is to tell her that you love her and you are sorry she’s in so much pain. Tell her that you would miss her dearly if she were no longer in your life. Tell her that you wish that you could make her feel better right now, but she will just have to wait a little longer.
Most people who have been moderately depressed have considered the reprieve that suicide promises, and they are usually relieved to find out that others know how common suicidal thoughts are in unipolar major depression. Even if your loved one is not open to discussing her feelings now, you will have opened a pathway for communications that she can use if her suicidal thoughts and impulses escalate in the future.
You do not have to mention suicide by name if you are uncomfortable talking about it. If you are comfortable discussing suicide, do so with calm caring. It is okay to tell depressed people that you hope they do not kill themselves.
- Why would someone want to kill himself?
- What can happen if unipolar major depression isn’t brought under control?
- What is a poisonous thought ?
- All I can think about is death am I crazy?
- How can I tell if my loved one’s depression is growing worse?
- Is Seroquel a sleeping pill?
- What do I do if one of the most important people in my life is making my depression worse?
- What, exactly, is my depressed friend going through?
- How do I stop playing down my depression in front of my doctor, therapist, and family?
- How can I talk to my depressed loved one when he’s so emotional?
- What is the first thing I should do to keep depression crises from happening?
- What’s the best thing I can do to prevent a depression related crisis?
- Where can I find more help on women and depression?
- How can I help my depressed friend feel better about herself?
- My depression increases whenever I look in the mirror what can I do to feel better about my appearance?
- Why has my partner become unreasonably demanding and physical since my depression began?
- Is Geodon effective in treating depression?
- What do I do if my depressed partner won’t get treatment?
- Depression has made me feel distant from my partner should I act on these feelings?
- Is it normal that my sexuality seems to have changed?